Helping a Family with DIPG


As a family with a child with cancer, we have received some overwhelming support from friends, the community and businesses.  We appreciate the way others have reached out to us with their generosity.  These acts keep us going and we know we aren't fighting this alone.  

Unfortunately, other friends haven't really acknowledged what we are going through.  I can't tell you how much this hurts.  What we are facing is devastating to our family and we NEED to know those in our lives care.  Please don't just check on us once and leave it at that. What we are fighting is ongoing and so should your support.

Cancer is a very lonely disease.  It is hard for us to seek out support from DIPG groups because so many children in them have earned their angel wings.  Reading their stories is just too much to take.  The best comfort comes from those we know or who have been touched by Ava's story.  

If you are lost as what you can do here are some tips.  
  • Send a note of encouragement.
  • Tell us you are thinking and praying for Ava.
  •  Call.  It is very hard for us to pick up the phone sometimes.  
  • Listen.  Don't tell us to be positive. We are feeling many emotions and that's okay.  If we need to vent, let us. 
  • Ask if there is anything you can do to help.  Be specific.  It can be hard to for us to ask you. Fundraisers, babysitting and house work are all good places to start. 
So please, ask how we are doing.  Ask about Ava and don't forget about her sister, Myla.  Send us your kind words and prayers.  It helps more than you know!  

If you would like to make a donation to the Dawson Family click here. 
         

Comments
3 Responses to “Helping a Family with DIPG”
  1. What a great message for all of us! Thanks for posting, and know my family and I are following Ava's story and my husband and I are very touched by it! We are also inspired by your strength and your photos of them always make me want to get my camera out. :) xoxo!!!

  2. Anonymous says:

    bless her.. i understand ... my husband has brain cancer for 16yrs... ..so we all know jesus is lord ..he will work it out for her

  3. Shelley Lowry says:

    Prayers to you and your family during this difficult time. I have a 2 1/2 year old son and cannot imagine what you are going through right now as a parent. I noticed you live in Killeen, and I would like to offer to babysit for ya'll. Since I work full time, I would only be able to do so Fri nights or Sat. I know it's not much, but I also know how important it is to have time to yourselves during stressful times. Please know my family is praying for you and Ava right now, as well as Mayla. I can't imagine how her younger sibling can understand what is going on right now...Prayers for recovery & strength right now!

Leave A Comment

Powered by Blogger.